J-Lo used the Dukan Diet system to help her lose weight. This is a French diet plan that was created by a French nutritionist called Dr Pierre Dukan. The popularity of his diet system has been spreading on the last 10 years, mostly with the help of the Internet. Other celebrities including Gisele Bundchen and Jessica Szohr have also managed their weight effectively using the Dukan Diet.
This year an English version of the Dukan diet will be published. So, how did Jennifer Lopez use the Dukan system to lose weight?
J-Lo admits that she worked out a lot during her weight loss program. The final 20 pounds were the hardest for her to lose and only by drastically changing her eating habits was she able to do it.
How Does the Dukan Diet Work?
Like the Atkins diet, the Dukan diet is divided into 4 stages, each stage have a specific purpose to help achieve your weight loss goals. The stages are:
- Attack Phase: This is a protein only diet, just like the Atkins Induction phase. You can eat meat, fish and eggs and should drink plenty of fluids, ideally just water. The aim is to halt sugar burning and start fat burning, i.e. you make your body change its metabolism to burn fat. Protein helps to prevent hunger and also ensures that lean muscle tissue is not wasted, as it often is in a low calorie diet. This phase should last for 2 – 7 days.
- Cruising Phase: During the cruising phase you alternate protein only days with protein and carb days to keep fat burning rates as high as possible while also eating a healthier diet. You stay in the cruising phase until you lose all the weight that you want to lose. Expect to lose about 2 pounds per week.
- Consolidation Phase: This third phase is designed to ensure that you do not put back all the weight you lost. Often when people diet to lose weight, as soon as the diet stops they return to the old eating habits that got them fat in the first place. This phase stops that happening. For 2 days a week you can be more relaxed with the diet and have some treats, such as bread, chocolate and alcohol. So for 2 meals each week you can treat yourself. This also helps you to learn to eat moderately the rest of the time. This phase should last for 5 days for every pound lost. So if you lost 20 pounds then you follow this rule for 100 days.
- Stabilization: This is the continuous ongoing phase that you should follow for the rest of your life. Like the Atkins Maintenance phase. For 1 day a week you have to eat the protein only Attack Phase of the diet, call them Attack Days. For the remainder of the week you aim to eat a more normal and balanced diet, but with fewer calories overall. This rule carries on forever.
This is really just another spin of the Atkins Diet Revolution. There is little real difference, the only difference is the way it is described and that there is no carb counting.
Buy the Dukan Diet from Amazon:
- The Dukan Diet from Amazon.co.uk (English version)
- Buy the Dukan Diet Book from Amazon.com
- Je Ne Sais Pas Maigrir (French Edition)
More from MotleyHealth:
The J-Lo Diet Plan - How Jennifer Lopez Lost Weight - Dukan Diet