The latest fitness trend which is taking the world by storm in 2023 is the 12-3-30 workout. It is essentially a form of circuit training with short bursts of exercise with short rests – perfect for fitness! Let’s take a quick look at why it works and how to do it. Please note, this is not the same as the 12-3-30 treadmill workout that is popular on TikTok – the TikTok treadmill one is just walking uphill for 30 minutes. Still good exercise, but not HIIT!
What is the 12-3-30 workout?
The 12-3-30 workout is a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) routine that consists of 12 rounds of 30 seconds of work followed by 3 seconds of rest. The exercises performed during the 30-second work intervals can vary, but they should be exercises that get your heart rate up and challenge your cardiovascular fitness. Examples of exercises that can be used for the 12-3-30 workout include jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpees, and squat jumps.
Why does HIIT Improve Fitness?
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) improves fitness in several ways:
- Increased cardiovascular fitness: HIIT is a form of cardiovascular exercise that involves alternating periods of high-intensity work with periods of rest. This type of training improves the body’s ability to deliver oxygen to working muscles, which can lead to increased endurance and improved cardiovascular health.
- Increased metabolic rate: HIIT can also increase the body’s metabolism, which means that you will continue to burn calories long after the workout is over. This can help with weight loss and body composition.
- Improved insulin sensitivity: Studies have shown that HIIT can improve insulin sensitivity, which can help reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Increased muscle mass: HIIT can also increase muscle mass, which can lead to improved strength and power, if you perform resistance exercises as part of your HIIT program.
- Increased endurance: As the body adapts to the demands of HIIT, it becomes better at utilizing energy sources and can improve endurance. You can also develop greater tolerance to lactic acid build up.
- Time-efficient: HIIT is a time-efficient way to improve fitness, as it can be done in a shorter amount of time than traditional steady-state cardio.
It’s important to note that HIIT is a challenging form of exercise, and it’s essential to start gradually and gradually increase the intensity and duration.
How To Do The 12-3-30 workout
- Warm up for 5-10 minutes by doing some light cardio, such as jogging in place or jumping jacks, or use a rower or cross trainer if you have one
- For the 30-second work intervals, choose one or two exercises that you will perform for the entire 12 rounds. For example, you can choose to do jumping jacks for 30 seconds, followed by 3 seconds of rest, then mountain climbers for 30 seconds, followed by 3 seconds of rest.
- Start the workout with the first exercise and perform it for 30 seconds. Take a 3-second rest and then move on to the next exercise.
- Complete all 12 rounds of the workout, focusing on good form and pushing yourself to work at a high intensity.
- Finish with a 5-10-minute cool-down, such as stretching or walking to bring your heart rate back down to normal.
The great thing about this form of exercise is that you can adjust the workout to your fitness level by increasing or decreasing the number of rounds or the length of the work and rest intervals. Consult a doctor before starting any new exercise routine.
See also our related articles on:
- MetCon – The Way To Get Fitter Faster
- Circuit Training Workouts – The Best Home Exercises
- The Best 20 Minute Workout To Get Fit At Home
- The Scientific 7-Minute Workout