2011 London Marathon
We are in the last week before the 2011 Virgin London Marathon which is being run this Sunday 17th April. The weather is looking good, clear skies but not too hot. Runners are in their final week of preparation. There are many celebrities running again this year to raise funds for charity.
Some celebrities are appearing in a photocall and press conference on Friday, they include;
- Joe Pasquale from television and theatre
- Charlie Brooks from EastEnders
- Ricky Wilson from the Kaiser Chiefs
- Elen Rivas, the Spanish Model who is dating Peter Andre
- David Gandy, a Dolce and Gabann model
- Agyness Deyn, model and actress who played Aphrodite in Clash of the Titans
- Cheryl Baker, television presenter and singer in Bucks Fizz
- Jay Aston, fellow Bucks Fizz group member
Plus some famous British sports celebrities;
- Iwan Thomas – fastest Brit over 400m
- Jamie Baulch – Olympic athlete, 400m runner
- Matthew Pinsent – Olympic rower
- James Cracknell – Olympic rower
- Dwight Yorke – footballer
They are all supporting charities of their choosing.
Hayley Yelling has had to pull out of the 2011 London Marathon after suffering from a torn calf muscle. She is 2 time European cross country champion and is the sister of Liz Yelling. She was also hoping that a good run this weekend would place her well for the London 2012 games, but now she fears that her running career could be over.
Running and Health
The London Marathon helps to highlight many charities each year, many of which are health related charities. It is also a great reminder of how running is a great way to stay a healthy weight and keep fit and active.
If you want to learn how to lose weight then know that running is certainly a good way to achieve that goal. Running is possibly the most natural form of exercise for humans to participate in. Christopher McDougall certainly believes that this is the case. So as the weather is getting nicer, get out and start running.