OK, in an ideal world we will all stop drinking beer to lose weight. But this is just not a workable solution. If you want to lose weight you need to reduce calories and cut sugar, but at the same time you need some pleasure in life, and for a lot of guys and gals, that pleasure comes from drinking beer.
Now we have mentioned that beer, when drunk sensibly, is actually a good post workout hydration drink, a few glasses does no harm. In fact over the years some studies have shown that people who have a beer a day live longer. Maybe the added exercise of walking to a bar helps?
Anyway, to help keep the pounds off this holiday season, here are some low cal beer options.
Low carb beers – low in sugar and calories
Low Sugar / Carb Beers
- Coors Light – This is a nice beer that is becoming a popular choice, famous for using Pure Rocky Mountain Spring Water.
- Corona Light – A slightly higher sugar level in this beer, but a tasty “cerveja” from Mexico.
- Amstel Light – Higher sugar levels from the famous Dutch brewery that give this a fuller taste, but go easy still.
Super Low Sugar / Carb Beers
Sugar levels are around half of the ones listed above. Some people find that taste is sacrificed a little more though. Take your pick.
- Miller Lite – Possibly the most popular at the moment, good old Miller Lite really is low in carbs.
- Aspen Edge – This is another of the very low sugar / low carb beers. This is also brewed by Coors. Just under 100 calories per bottle too. Not a bad taste.
- Rock Green Light – This beer is one of the lowest carb beers on the market from the Rolling Rock brewers.
- Michelob Ultra – Ultra low sugar beer with a great taste.
Remember, although these beers are lower in sugar than many others, they still pack around 100 calories per bottle, so a few bottles a day and you will be consuming an additional 9000 calories in a month, and a big night could see you guzzling down 1000 calories in one session. So it is not zero calorie, just lower than the traditional brands.