Working out is vital to healthy living, which is why many people choose to cycle to work instead of driving. Besides, cycling is great for the environment, and it’s a lot of fun. However, you may feel you do not have the fitness required to get you to work and back every day. Here we look at some new bikes on the market that make cycling easier and more accessible for all.
There are several types of bike available on the market, namely road bikes, mountain bikes, touring bikes, hybrid bikes, and electric bikes.
Road bikes feature turned-down handlebars and thin tires. They’re suitable for touring, racing, daily commuting, fitness riding, and even riding long distances.
Mountain bikes come with advanced braking systems and shock-absorbing features, making them capable of handling rocks, dirt trails, bumps, roots, and ruts. They’re designed with lower gears that make them ideal for traveling on steep terrains.
Similar to traditional road bikes, touring bikes are made for long-distance bike tours. They include multiple attachment points for attaching pumps, fenders, racks, lights, water bottles, and so on. You can use them to carry heavy loads in the front and rear racks since they’re built with sturdy frames.
Hybrid bikes, on the other hand, are a combination of road, mountain, and touring bike features. They have large-sized wheels that make them perfect for traveling on smooth dirt and paved trails. Most models are ideal for commuters, providing lighting systems, racks, and fenders.
Electric bikes are equipped with an electric motor that can be charged by connecting it to a regular outlet. They can help you travel faster and go over hills effortlessly when you peddle. Because they make pedaling easier, they’ve grown popular as a means of transport and a form of exercise. If you’re planning to invest in an e-bike for work or fitness, you can browse around here or check out other online reviews to find the best one.
However, choosing a bike can be tricky at first. Here’s what you can do:
- Look for a bike that’s comfortable to ride. A good fit is essential to your safety in cycling, so make sure the bike’s frame is sized correctly for your body type.
- Go for an affordable bike, especially if you’re on a budget. The price should correspond with quality and longevity. This means that if it’s too cheap or poorly made, it may not last long enough to justify its cost.
- Consider a bike that’s easy to maintain as well. Since you won’t need to do a lot of repairs, you’ll be able to save money in the long run. Keep an eye out for bikes with parts that are readily available at local shops specializing in bike repairs.
- Select a sturdy model but one that isn’t too heavy, especially when fully loaded with your bags. Check too whether it can hold up well in harsh weather conditions, such as rain, snow, sleet, or scorching heat.
Health Benefits Of Cycling To Work
Cycling is perfect for all fitness levels: beginners, intermediates, and advanced trainers. So, you don’t need to be an experienced trainer or rider to try cycling to work and reap its health benefits, such as the following:
- It Helps You Control Or Lose Weight
Biking is an effective way to manage or lose weight since it allows you to build muscle and burn body fat, as well as increases your metabolic rate. However, if your goal is to lose weight, you’ll need to pair cycling with a healthy diet.
- It Strengthens Your Immune System
Aside from being an effective weight loss method, cycling is an exciting form of exercise that strengthens your immune system. When you bike outdoors, you get plenty of sunlight, which increases vitamin production. What’s more, it can help you sleep better, which has a positive impact on your immune system.
- It Improves Your Mental Health
Moreover, cycling is a great way to relieve stress and take your mind off day-to-day worries. As you bike, you’ll feel better, especially if you’re dealing with a mental health issue, such as anxiety or depression.
In addition, cycling lets you escape from reality and form a deeper connection with the environment. It’s a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors and marvel at the beauty of nature. In fact, surrounding yourself with nature relaxes your body and clears your mind.
How To Have Fun While Riding To Work
Biking to work is already fun, but you can make it more exciting by:
- Riding with a friend
- Listening to music or podcasts
- Hanging out with someone who shares similar interests with you (it doesn’t have to be a friend or a family member)
Cycling isn’t just a practical way to get to work but also a healthy activity anyone can do. Hence, it doesn’t matter what fitness level you’ve got. You just have to find a bike that suits your needs and enjoy your ride.