October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. The aim is to simply make more people aware of breast cancer, including the treatments and help that are available.
Here is a message from Breast Cancer Care in the UK:
“Breast cancer remains the most common cancer in the UK with nearly 46,000 people diagnosed every year. The chances are that most of your audience will have been touched by the disease in some way, and during Breast Cancer Awareness Month this October we need you to keep talking about it.
By doing this you can help us raise the money we need to help people affected by the disease by bringing them together, providing them with information and support, and campaigning for improved standards of care. You also help us to let everyone who’s touched by the disease know we’re here.
Every product and fundraising venture in this pack raises money so that we can continue providing our free services. Our helpline and website are a lifeline to the thousands of people who contact us every year with fears, concerns and questions about breast cancer. We don’t receive statutory funding so we rely wholly on the generosity of our supporters.
And by raising awareness of breast cancer this October, we can remind thousands of women to be breast aware, which can ultimately lead to earlier detection and better results from treatment.
On behalf of Breast Cancer Care, and the women and men we support, thank you for keeping breast cancer in the public eye.”
Samia al Qadhi, Chief Executive, Breast Cancer Care
Breast Cancer Charities and Organizations:
- Breast Cancer Care (UK) – “We want every person affected by breast cancer to get the best treatment, information and support.”
- Breastcancercampaign.org (UK) – “Breast Cancer Campaign’s mission is to beat breast cancer by funding innovative world-class research to understand how breast cancer develops, leading to improved diagnosis, treatment, prevention and cure.”
- Cancerresearchuk.org (UK) – “Cancer Research UK is the largest single funder of breast cancer research in the UK.”
- Thebreastcancersite.com (USA) – “The Breast Cancer Site was founded to help fund free mammograms for women in need — women for whom early detection would not otherwise be possible. Since its launch in October 2000, the site has established itself as a leader in online activism and in the fight to prevent breast cancer deaths.”
- Breakthrough.org.uk (UK) – “a pioneering charity, which is changing and saving lives through research, campaigning and education by removing the fear of breast cancer for good.”
- nbcam.org (USA) – The Official National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) organization.
- Komen.org (USA) – “provide up-to-the-minute information about breast cancer research, local outreach programs and volunteer opportunities, public policy initiatives, events, including Race for the Cure® and Komen programs and partners.”