In 2004 Jake almost clutched his first action super-hero role when Tobey Maguire’s poor health almost prevented him from playing Spiderman for the second time. He also just missed out to Christian Bale to play Batman.
Jake Gyllenhaal Workout
Jake’s personal trainer for Prince of Persia was Simon Waterson who is the former Royal Marine that has worked with Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig on the James Bond films.
For his role in Prince of Persia Jake had to ensure that his training created the physique of a warrior and not a bodybuilder. He trained to build athletic muscle that was fast and agile. This form of training places more emphasis on muscular endurance.
For several months before shooting Prince of Persia Jake worked out 3 times a day, 6 days a week. Here is his daily workout routine that Simon Waterson set him:
- Wake up at 5.30am and eat a banana and some nuts and drink a strong black coffee.
- At 6am he would do 90 minutes of intensive cardio training and core workouts. He would do hill sprints while wearing a weighted vest, followed by crunches at the top of the hill, and then gently run down the hill and repeat. Hill workouts are fantastic for building leg strength and endurance.
- Post workout breakfast: Omelette and protein shake to help with muscle repair.
- For lunch Jake would eat a meal that included a healthy protein source, such as tuna, a leafy salad and potato.
- In the evening he would do one hour of specific resistance training including pull ups, press ups, core exercises and plenty of stretching.
- The workout would be followed by a massage and then a light dinner, usually soup and another protein shake.
As Jake was a slight build before the training it was vital to ensure that he did not over-eat while building muscle. It is very easy to eat too much when doing strength training which can lead to increased fat levels. Your diet still needs to be lean and calorie controlled to ensure that you provide your muscles with the fuel they need without giving your fat reserves a boost. However, as part of the training regime some healthy treats are allowed, such as dark chocolate and some wine. An absolute strict rule is no refined sugar.
These books are also available from Amazon UK and major book stores.
More from MotleyHealth:
How Jake Gyllenhaal Bulked Up For Prince of Persia - Diet and Workouts